Monday, April 30, 2007

The Cricket

And finally, it's all over. Awesome Australia win again. It's getting to be impossible to beat them. I know, I know .. New Zealand swamped them 3-zip before the World Cup, and even England (though who am I to comment, at least they got to the super 8s) beat Australia a couple of times before that. And McGrath is gone. So is Warne. But does that make them beatable? I can't think of any team capable of even coming close.
Cricket is a money sport, a sport for professionals who aim to make as much moolah as they can get. Gentleman's game, sure. But gentlemen bring home the bacon, and don't you forget it. And is that really an explanation for the other team's pathetic displays? (Barring Sri Lanka, I thought they were marvellous throughout - and its a shame the final ended the way it did). What I'm trying to say is, I'm sure the Aussies are as interested in cash as the other teams and the ICC are. It's just that they are more professional I guess. Whatever that means.
Its been a disillusioning past few years for me - and I used to be such an avid fan of the sport. I think Olonga and Flower demonstrated spirit perfectly in 2003, and look how they paid for it. Sri Lanka demonstrated that spirit this time around, the game is supposed to be fun, for God's sakes!

Otherwise, its just not cricket.

No comments: